Chennai Mathematical Institute(CMI) B.Sc. Entrance Syllabus
Chennai Mathematical Institute is a centre of excellence for teaching and research in the mathematical sciences. Founded in 1989 as part of the SPIC Science Foundation, it has been an autonomous institute since 1996.
CMI offers the following six-semester courses leading to BSc (Honours) degrees.
The BSc (Honours) Mathematics and Computer Science curriculum covers basic and advanced undergraduate courses in Mathematics. The programme also includes a number of courses on fundamental topics in Computer Science, including the design and analysis of algorithms, programming languages and computability theory. The courses are taught by active researchers in mathematics and computer science who draw on their professional expertise to offer new insights into the subject material.
The BSc (Honours) Mathematics and Physics programme has the same core content in Mathematics as the BSc (Honours) Mathematics and Computer Science programme. The Computer Science component of the BSc (Honours) Mathematics and Computer Science is substituted by an equivalent number of Physics courses in classical mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics, optics and quantum mechanics.
Eligibility for Admission
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Mathematics and Computer Science: 12th standard or equivalent.
- B.Sc. (Hons.) Mathematics and Physics: 12th standard or equivalent.
BSc (Honours) Mathematics and Computer Science
Topics covered in entrance examination
The entrance examination for the B.Sc. (Hons) Maths and Computer Science program, is a test of aptitude to do Mathematics. We expect the students to be familiar with the following topics.
- Algebra: Arithmetic and geometric progressions, arithmetic mean, geometric mean, harmonic mean and related inequalities, polynomial equations, roots of polynomials, matrices, determinants, linear equations, solvability of equations, binomial theorem and multinomial theorem, permutations and combinations, mathematical induction. prime numbers and divisibility, GCD, LCM, modular arithmetic logarithms, probability.
- Geometry: Vectors, triangles, two dimensional geometry of Conics – straight lines, parabola, hyperbola, ellipses and circles, tangents, measurement of area and volume, co-ordinate geometry.
- Trigonometry: addition, subtraction formulas, double-angle formulas.
- Calculus: Limits, continuity, derivatives, integrals, indefinite and definite integrals, maxima and minima of functions in a single variable, series and sequences, convergence criterion.
- Complex numbers, roots of unity.
Suggested reading material
The following books are suggested, in addition to the Class XI and XII Mathematics Text-books of the National Council of Educational Research and Training, New Delhi.
- Krishnamoorthy, C.R. Pranesachar, K. N. Ranganathan, B.J.Venkatachala: Chal-lenge and Thrill of Pre-College Mathematics, New Age International Publishers.
- R. Modak, S.A. Katre, V.V. Acharya: An Excursion in Mathematics, Bhaskaracharya Pratishtan (Pune).
- Fomin, S. Genkin, I. Itenberg: Mathematical Circles: Russian experience, Universi-ties Press (Hyderabad) 1998.
- S. Hall, S.R. Knight: Higher Algebra.
Entrance Exam Syllabus and Past Papers
BSc (Hons) Mathematics and PhysicsThe entrance examination is the same as BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Computer Science and will test aptitude for Mathematics at the 12th standard level. For the syllabus and sample question papers, follow the links under BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Computer Science.
BSc (Hons) Mathematics and Computer Science