IIT Madras offers world’s first online BSc Degree program in Programming and Data Science
First online BSc Degree program in Programming and Data Science
IIT Madras, India’s top technical institute, welcomes you to the world’s first online BSc Degree program in Programming and Data Science. For the first time, you can work towards an undergraduate degree / diploma from an IIT regardless of your age or location, and with a wide range of academic backgrounds.
Why learn Programming & Data Science?
Decision making is increasingly becoming data driven within the commercial sector and the government. There is a large quantity of data readily available for this at present. Smart devices connected to the internet bring more input sources, apart from those generated by humans as they interact with services and one another. Data driven decision making involves the analysis of large volumes of data to identify patterns and build predictive models. This requires a combination of skills ranging from computing, statistics and mathematics, and is broadly labelled data science.
As formal academic programs in data science are only just emerging, there is a huge gap between the demand for data scientists and the supply of suitable qualified applicants in the job market. The throughput of traditional classroom programs is limited and will not be able to provide the numbers needed to meet the upcoming requirements. Online teaching has the potential to train much larger numbers, but delivering scale without diluting quality has proven to be a challenge until recently.
This program therefore aims to create a thoroughly trained programmer, proficient in application development, data sciences and machine learning.
Who can join?
- Can be pursued as a second degree by someone currently in college.
- Anyone who has dropped out of / completed their Bachelor’s Degree may apply.
- No age or stream or geographical restrictions.
Which course is being offered?
- Diploma in Programming
- Diploma in Data Science
- BSc Degree in Programming and Data Science
What is the Qualifier Process?
4 weeks of online courses and assignments to be completed.
Those who get minimum required scores in weekly assignments in the 4 weeks will get to write Qualifier Exam broadly based on the 4 weeks of content.
Those who get minimum required scores in Qualifier Exam get to register for Foundational Level courses.
What is the Structure of the Program?
The program is split into three levels that have to be completed strictly in sequence:
- Foundational Level (8 courses)
- Diploma Level (6 Programming courses + 6 Data Science courses)
- Degree Level (11 courses)
Total Courses: 31
Completion time: 3 – 6 years
Fees for full course Rs.2,42,000*
Online Courses & Assignments
Quizzes and Exams: 116 credits
based on preferred pace & performance
*Refer Fee Structure (Pg 9).
12 weeks of coursework for each course
3 Quizzes and one End Term Exam for
each course – in person and invigilated.
- Fees for each term depends on the Course Level that the learner has registered for and the course credits.
- The fee per credit for Foundational Level courses is Rs.1000.
- The fee per credit for Diploma / Degree Level courses is Rs.2500.
- There’s a 50% fee waiver for (i) Learners belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC) / Scheduled Tribe (ST) category. (ii) Persons with Disabilities (PwD >= 40% disability).
- There’s a 75% fee waiver if a learner is both PwD >=40% AND belongs to the SC / ST category.