MTA Inaugural Conference 2019
MTA honours Savitribai Phule on her 188th birth anniversary on January 3, 2019
January 3-5, 2019
Venue: Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education, TIFR, Mumbai.
The inaugural conference will provide a forum for mathematics teachers, mathematics educators and mathematicians from all over the country to come together and discuss all aspects of mathematics education, and also to offer directions for the newly formed Association.
The conference will include discussions on mathematics teaching and learning at school level as well as college level. Discussions on mathematics education will be on curricular as well as pedagogic aspects.
A section of the conference will be devoted to papers presented by teachers reporting on their classroom experiments and experiences, on difficult topics in mathematics curriculum, on mathematics assessment, on the use of technology, on the olympiads and Madhava competition, and so on. Discussion on all aspects of mathematics teachers’ professional lives will be welcome.
The conference will also feature two workshops on the following themes:
- Bridging school and college mathematics
- Use of technology in the mathematics classroom
There will be a panel discussion on “Engaging every child in mathematics : realising the vision of Savitribai Phule”.
MTA(I) aims to serve as an instrument to improve the standards of mathematics in the country at various levels, generate interest in mathematics among students through various activities and nurture mathematical talent. The Association extends a warm welcome to all mathematics teachers to participate in its inaugural conference, to join MTA(I) and strengthen this effort.
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
Submissions on ALL aspects of mathematics education and of relevance to the professional lives of mathematics teachers are welcome.
Representative areas include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Classroom experiments and experiences
- Problem solving
- Student projects in mathematics
- Difficult topics in mathematics curriculum
- Pedagogic innovations
- Links to applications in the mathematics classroom
- Challenges in assessment
- The use of technology
- The olympiads and Madhava competitions
Submissions are limited to TWO pages, of at most 1200 words, provided as a PDF or DOC file. Submissions will be via the Easychair conference system, accessible from the conference web page: .
Deadline for submissions: November 10, 2018.
Accepted abstracts will be presented at the conference and made available in a free, electronic access form from the MTA(I) site. For an accepted abstract to be included in the programme, one of the authors must commit
to presenting the paper at the conference.
Conference registration fee: Rs 1000 (Rs 500 for MTA life members)
Participants may obtain MTA life membership while registering for the conference (Life membership: Rs 3000; Rs 2000 for school and college teachers)
The conference fee covers participation in the conference, conference lunch and tea and conference materials.
A limited number of grants will be available providing travel support (by A/c class on train) and/or registration waiver for participants who need such support. Those seeking support will need to apply before November 15, 2018. Limited accommodation on a sharing basis will be available on the HBCSE campus for conference participants. If accommodation is required, it must be mentioned at the time of registration. (Please note that accommodation is not guaranteed to all those who request it.)
- Abstract Submission Deadline: November 10, 2018
- Grant request application Deadline: November 15, 2018
- Notification to Authors: November 20, 2018
- Decision on grant requests: November 30, 2018
- Amber Habib (Shiv Nadar Univ, Delhi)
- Bhaba Kumar Sarma (IIT Guwahati)
- Geetha Venkataraman (Ambedkar University Delhi)
- Jonaki Ghosh (Lady Shri Ram College, Delhi)
- K. Subramaniam (HBCSE, Mumbai)
- R. Athmaraman (AMTI, Chennai)
- R. Ramanujam (IMSc, Chennai) (Convener)
- Shobha Madan (IIT Goa)
- Ambat Vijayakumar (CUSAT, Kochi)
- B. Sury (ISI, Bengaluru)
- K. Subramaniam (HBCSE, Mumbai)
- R. Ramanujam (IMSc, Chennai)
- S. R. Santhanam (AMTI, Chennai)
- Shweta Naik (HBCSE, Mumbai)
- Sneha Titus (Azim Premji University, Bengaluru)
- Udayan Prajapati (St. Xavier’s College, Ahmedabad)
- V. M. Sholapurkar (S. P. College, Pune) (Convener)
- Vivek Monteiro (NavNirmiti, Mumbai)
Official Website:- http://www.mtai.org.in/